My Mother's Presence Encouraged Me, Merylin Ajidua, Ibusa Girl Who Won the Miss Earth Nigeria 2026 Model of the Year
My Mother's Presence Encouraged Me, Merylin Ajidua, Ibusa Girl Who Won the Miss Earth Nigeria 2026 Model of the Year
*She contested in Miss Earth Nigeria and won the first Model of the Year Prize. She is grateful to all that supported her. Ibusa-born MISS MERYLIN IFESINACHI AJIDUA, in this interview with PEN MASTER (EMEKA ESOGBUE), shares her experience of the pageant in this interview. Excerpts:*
*Pen Master: Miss Merylin Ajudua, you just competed in Miss Earth Nigeria and returned with 2026 Model of the Year. Congratulations to you. Anyway, our readers will like to know you.*
Ajidua: My name is Merylin Ifesinachi Ajidua. I am a humanitarian, environmental advocate, social entrepreneur, model, and the founder of the Merylin Ajidua Foundation, an NGO focused on youth empowerment, education, and community development. I am currently studying Educational Psychology, Guidance and Counselling at the University of Port Harcourt. I am passionate about using my voice and platforms to inspire young people, serve my community, and contribute meaningfully to environmental sustainability. I am also proudly the first ever Model of the Year at the just concluded Miss Earth Nigeria 2026 peagent. A title I am deeply grateful for. I am a Nigerian, from Umuafene, Isieke in Ibusa community, Delta State
*Pen Master: Anyway, you just emerged the 2026 Model of the Year in that pageant. How was the feeling like upon the announcement?*
Ajidua: (Smile) Honestly, it was an emotional moment for me. When my name was announced, I felt a mixture of shock, gratitude, and happiness. I immediately thought about the little girl who had always dreamed of being on a stage like that. I thought about the doubts, the challenges, the preparation, and all the moments when I had to encourage myself to keep going. Being crowned Model of the Year made me realize that every step of the journey had a purpose. It wasn’t just a title to me. It felt like a reminder that dreams can actually become reality when you keep believing and showing up.
*Pen Master: What was running in your heart all through the contest?*
Ajidua: Thank you Pen Master, but honestly, what was running in my heart throughout the contest was for God to let me become everything I was there for. I came into Miss Earth Nigeria with a dream I had carried since I was a little girl, but I also came with fears and self-doubt. There were moments when I questioned myself, but I kept reminding myself why I started. I wanted to grow, to find my voice, to represent my values, and to use the platform to make a difference especially through my environmental advocacy. So even when things became challenging, my heart kept saying, keep going. You belong here. This is part of your story.” Today, becoming the 1st Ever Model of the Year makes me realize that every challenge, every tear, every correction, and every moment of doubt was preparing me for this moment. More than anything, my heart was filled with faith, gratitude, and the desire to make my little-girl dream a reality.
*Pen Master: ...but Merylin, what was the experience like for you?*
Ajidua: The experience was honestly a beautiful mix of excitement, challenges, growth, and unforgettable memories. I came to Miss Earth Nigeria with a dream, but I quickly realized that the experience was about so much more than competing for a title. It challenged me to step outside my comfort zone, become more confident, find my voice, and learn how to carry myself with purpose. There were difficult moments too. There were times I doubted myself and wondered if I was doing enough, but those moments taught me resilience. My pageant sisters, my roommates, the team, and everyone who supported me became part of a journey I will always treasure. And emerging as the 1st Ever Model of the Year made the experience even more special. It reminded me that sometimes, the journey doesn’t look exactly how you imagined it, but it can still lead you to something beautiful. I didn’t just leave with a title. I left with growth, memories, friendships, confidence, and a stronger belief in myself. And for that, I will always be grateful.
*Pen Master: This event was held in Port Harcout, the Garden City. Would you have wished it held in city outside Rivers State?*
Ajidua: Yes, the event was held in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and honestly, I’m grateful it was. I wouldn’t say I wished for it to be held somewhere else because Port Harcourt gave me an experience I will always cherish. The city welcomed us, and being there allowed us to experience its beauty, culture, and people. For me, the location was never the most important part. What mattered was the platform, the people I met, the lessons I learned, and the memories we created. That being said, I believe Miss Earth Nigeria is a national platform, and I would love to see future editions reach different cities across Nigeria. Taking the competition to different parts of the country could allow more young women to participate and showcase the beauty, culture, and environmental stories of their own communities. So, I wouldn’t replace Port Harcourt. I would simply love to see the Miss Earth Nigeria experience growth beyond it.
*Pen Master: I observed that during the grand finale, your mother was physically present to watch you. She must be very fond of you.*
Ajidua: (Laughing) Yes, my mother was the one who encouraged me to take the bold step. In her own words, “Dey here make your slimness dey waste" moved me to action. She is one of the people who has always been very special to me, so having her physically present at the grand finale meant so much to me. Seeing her there while I was on that stage was emotional because she wasn’t just watching the pageant, she was watching her daughter live out a dream. There is something very special about looking into the audience and seeing someone who has known you long before the crowns, makeup, gowns, and stage lights. Her presence gave me an extra sense of strength that night. Knowing that my mother was there to witness that moment is a memory I will treasure forever.
*Pen Master: Alright, Merilyn, but what were the other girls always telling you in camp? Share their thoughts with us*
Ajidua: (Smiling) my sisters were always encouraging me and reminding me to believe in myself. They would tell me things like, “Merylin, you can do this,” “Be confident,” “Don’t be afraid,” and sometimes they would even remind me to relax when I was taking things too seriously. I am grateful to my roommates I really appreciate Miss Lavender and Miss Primrose how they saw qualities in me that I sometimes couldn’t see in myself. We were competitors, but there were moments when we genuinely supported one another. That sisterhood is one of the things that made camp special for me.
*Pen Master: Do you also model?*
Ajidua: Yes, I do. Modeling has always been something I enjoy because it allows me to express myself through confidence, movement, fashion, and presence. My Miss Earth Nigeria experience also helped me understand that modeling is not just about appearance. It’s about confidence, discipline, expression, and the ability to communicate something without necessarily saying a word. Being named Model of the Year has definitely encouraged me to take that part of my journey even more seriously.
*Pen Master: Meryline, you are a student of Educational Psychology Guidance and Counseling at the university of Port Harcourt. How do you combine your education with modeling?*
Ajidua: well, it takes discipline and proper time management. My education is very important to me because I believe knowledge gives you a stronger foundation for whatever platform you eventually stand on. Modeling and pageantry have taught me confidence, presentation, discipline, and communication, while my studies help me understand people, their emotions, behaviours, and development. I actually see them as complementary. Education strengthens my mind, while modeling gives me another avenue to express myself and connect with people.
*Pen Master: You are the founder of Merilyn Ajudua Foundation, an initiative aimed at youth empowerment and education. Tell us about this initiative.*
Ajidua: the Merylin Ajidua Foundation was born from my desire to serve and create opportunities for people, particularly young people who may not always have access to the support their need. The foundation focuses on areas such as youth empowerment, education, humanitarian support, and community development. I believe young people shouldn’t only be seen as the leaders of tomorrow. We are also contributors today, and when young people are given the right knowledge, opportunities, mentorship, and support, they can transform their communities. My vision is to build something that goes beyond me. A platform that creates meaningful impact and encourages young people to believe that their circumstances do not have to define their future.
*Pen Master: What message do you have for your fellow youths out there especially, your Ibusa people?*
Ajidua: I would tell young people: don’t be afraid to start small, and don’t allow where you are today to convince you that you cannot become who you dream of being. I know what it feels like to have a dream and also have moments of doubt. But sometimes, you have to take the first step even when you don’t have everything figured out. Believe in yourself, keep learning, remain consistent, and surround yourself with people who encourage your growth. And most importantly, don’t measure your journey by someone else’s timeline. Your story is yours. Keep showing up, keep becoming, and trust that the little steps you are taking today can become the foundation for something much bigger tomorrow.
*Pen Master: Merylin, I must thank you for your time and also wish you well in your career.*
Ajidua: Pen Master, thank you so much for having me. It has been a pleasure sharing my story and my experience.
I am truly grateful to the Miss Earth Nigeria Organization, the National Director, my beautiful pageant sisters, my family, and everyone who supported me throughout this journey. This experience has given me memories I will carry for a lifetime, and I hope my story reminds someone else that it is okay to dream, it is okay to start small, and it is never too late to believe in yourself. I send my gratitude back home to my Ibusa brothers and sisters and indeed, everyone who supported me. Thank you for the opportunity.



Comments
Post a Comment