Skip to main content

There is something special in my Movies

 

There is something special About my Movies

 

- Nicki Moore, Ace Nollywood Producer

 


Nollywood Actress, Producer and Director, Nneka Mowete fondly called "Nicki Moore" in Nigerian movie industry is a leading female producer in the country. She has several prestigious awards and honours to her credit. In 2022, she was honoured with the Mount Moriah Organization "Producer of the Year." She was again nominated for the Best London Actress and Yankari Entertainment Award for Nollywood International Movie Producer of the Year, 2024. The height of the honour of the international actress appeared to be the Dr. Pauline Long certificate issued in the UK Parliament in recognition of her promotion of human love and for exemplary contributions in the society. In this interview with EMEKA ESOGBUE (PEN MASTER), the celebrated star opens up on a number of issues concerning her career with others touching on her Anioma people and the Nigerian movie industry as a whole. She tells the readers how it all started, her girl-child foundation and also speaks on her movies. The lady of tube from the Ibusa community of Anioma further makes suggestions on how her Anioma people in the industry can showcase their cultural heritage to the world exploiting the movie industry and calls on them to unite to move the region forward. Excerpts:   

 

Pen Master:  Nicki Moore, after a hot chase to catch you, we are finally here for this media chat. Now, a lot of people especially, from your Anioma region have heard of you, Nicki Moore. Could you introduce yourself to our readers, please?

 


Nicki Moore: My name is Nneka Mowete but I am better known as "Nicki Moore" in the movie industry. To my Ibusa people back home who are pretty familiar with me, I am "Nneka Nwa Man Must Whack."

 

Pen Master: Are there some more things you want us to know about your background?

 

Nicki Moore: (Smiling) not really! But well, as you already know, I am from Umuehea in Ibusa, Oshimili North Local Government Area of Delta State. My Dad is Mr. Albert Mowete who was familiarly called "Man Must Whack" and my Mum, Felicia Ozulonye Mowete nee Okwali. She hails from Umueze part of Ibusa, the same community with my Dad. I am the last of 5 siblings. I don't tell lies and I rarely appreciate people who take others for granted. 

 

Pen Master: How was growing up for you? Tell us.

 

Nicki Moore: Well what I can say is that as a young girl, growing up in Ibusa, the Ibusa community was nothing but love and respect for everyone. When I talk about the Ibusa of our time, it was the community everyone knew themselves - quite a close-knit clan with defined cultural ways of doing things and more importantly, far-flung affection. It was also the Ibusa where you would not bother to lock your doors and still feel safe around. Everyone associated happily. In Ibusa of that time, love existed in everyone and everywhere. It was a beauty of a place for indigenes and residents alike. People sometimes say to me, "Nicki, why are you always saying "Ibusa amaka" aphorism?"  My usual response to this question is that I love my Ibusa for what it is. Ibusa for you!

 


Pen Master: Nicki, are you going to share these memories with us?

 

Nicki Moore: (Smiling and changing her voice) Well, I have fond memories, growing up in that community. Is it about my football days in Ibusa Girls Grammar School or my basketball days in Federal Government Girls College, Ibusa? Pen Master, like I just told you, I am full of Ibusa memories.  You see, we didn't have much but we were okay, highly contented. My mum of blessed memory was strong, hard working and a great woman whom I loved and took after.  My Dad, on his part was an amazing man, a very likeable sort. He was a strong man, hard working and a lover of whatever was fair to the people around him. People who know my Dad can attest to this. Pen Master, venturing into telling you about my Dad will surely take us days to conclude this interview.

 

Pen Master: Alright, let me take you on Nollywood, the industry you belong and have several awards. Nicki Moore, you are in this movie industry, doing your thing, producing and featuring in other productions. What has the experience been like? 

 

Nicki Moore: (Smiling) Pen Master, my experience so far has been nothing but awesome.  It has not really been easy but God is great and still in heaven.  I came into the industry as an actress and it was challenging as some producers didn't want me to feature because they believed that I could take their place. Fortunately, I had a friend who was more like a sister to me by name, Oge. Oge turned out to be the one who gave me my first role and the movie, which was titled "Kissing Shadow." This particular movie is still available on Netflix and Amazon Prime. It is still streaming. I remember she said to me, "Nicki you have something in you and you can really make it." Thereafter, I started to have the feeling that the only way to showcase my talent was to go into production and I am in it now. Unfortunately, as a producer, I have not had that opportunity of sponsorship but have rather been doing my thing all by myself.

 


Pen Master: Nicki Moore, as your ardent follower, I have seen some of your works, "Desperate Mission," "The Prince and the Ghost," "Sweet Mistake," "What is Love," currently showing on Africa Magic and many more. Now, which of your movies would you say has been more interesting to you as the one who produced it?

 

Nicki Moore: (Laughing aloud) Pen Master, I am delighted that your stature and many others are noticing what we do. With this question, I seem trapped but I will tell you that there is always something special in all my movies. Now this movie, "A Chance to Life" is emotional, breathtaking and full of lifetime lessons. Paradoxically, it is a comedy.  It strikes the story of a young mother from abroad who was unwell and brought back to Africa to seek healing in traditional medicine. In entrusting her two young children to care for her, she obviously forgot that they had never been to Africa.  The rest of the story with the outcome is history... 

 

Pen Master: ...okay but the Nollywood industry is rich with the Anioma people and they embrace Zik Zulu Okafor, Francis Onwochei, Regina Daniels, Agatha Amata, Emeka Ossai, Rita Daniels, Christy Achakpo and many more including Nicki Moore, your humble self but not many of Anioma movies have been seen by your Anioma people. Why do you think that your Anioma Nollywood people are not taking the opportunity to promote their own values and cultural heritage?

 

Nicki Moore: (Interject) Pen Master, your questions demonstrates how much hope our people repose in us as the people's cultural ambassadors who should be proponents of our people's cultural heritage. We are not taking our people for granted. I may say it is because we have not really come together to speak with one voice and to work together to put out movies for our people.  If only we can create our own contents by coming together as people of socio-cultural homogeneity who would appreciate the diffusion of their cultural heritage to the world by themselves then we will move forward.  I am not unaware that the movie industry offers the hopeful tool through which the way of life of people is projected to the globe. Recently, we heard that "Things Fall Apart," the Prof Chinua Achebe's classic novel would be acted again in a movie. This is exactly how to showcase the African culture to the world. As a way to achieve our own, we can establish a platform where all Anioma filmmakers and artists can come together for this purpose. There is a lot to do for our people. Anyway, I am working on bringing our people together and hopefully it will all work out and our people will begin to smile soon. 

 

Pen Master: I know you also run Nicki Moore Foundation which supports the girl-child needs and care. Do you think that this girl-child is receiving committed attention in the country? 

 

Nicki Moore: It has always been a cause so dear to my heart and as a female gender; I believe that every girl-child has the potential to achieve her ambition when supported by her society. However, this can only manifest with mentorship, orientation and creation of awareness.  Don't also forget that early basic education, personal hygiene and hard work are necessary factors for the girl-child to become a fulfilled mother of tomorrow. Well, my girl-child foundation was founded in 2019 and it has been discharging its objectives.

 

Pen Master: ...but now, you are from Ibusa. Recently, the news broke that Bose Ogomegbunem Omolayo, a globally-acclaimed Paralympic legend and daughter of the community won a silver medal at the 2024 Paris Paralympic Games in addition to other gold medals to her credit and a new world record previously set by her. Despite calls from several quarters for the community to receive global champion, nothing has been heard from the leaders of the community. Do you think they are finding it difficult to honour achievers in sports, Nollywood, culture and other spheres of life while concentrating so much commitment on politicians and other bigwigs from the community? 

 

Nicki Moore: I will start by congratulating her. She has done absolutely well. In all honesty, I don't know why the situation is so.

 

Pen Master:  ...but the community has the Otu Ehulu Fulu, Association of Ibusa Professional Women, two organizations concerned with women affairs in the community. The town also has the Ibusa Community Development Union Worldwide, the apex Organization and Association of Physically Challenged Persons. Why is it difficult to come together and honour their daughter? 

 

Nicki Moore: Sir, like I said I am a young lady who loves to help not because I have so much to give out but because I know how it feels for others not to have. I think it will be nice if the stakeholders come together then our dear town will be great again. 

 

Pen Master: Nicki Moore, do Nollywood female actresses give sex in return for roles as often claimed in some quarters? 

 

Nicki Moore: (Laughing aloud with her hands raised) Well, Pen Master, thankfully, you used the word, "claim" and it struck me meaningfully.  I have never had such experience maybe because I am a producer myself.  Again, what I can tell you is that it is not that easy out there for the young ones to break into the movie industry. It is very challenging. 

 

Pen Master: ...so, what is the biggest challenge confronting the industry? Do you know?

 

Nicki Moore: (Gazing at the sky) I would say it is regulation. The industry needs to be regulated so that independent producers like me can recoup our spending.

 

Pen Master: Do you have any plans for your Anioma people? 

 

Nicki Moore: Absolutely yes! I am working on it and soon, it will unfold. I will like to take this opportunity to solicit support from my Ibusa and Anioma brothers and sisters to support my work through sponsorship. Our people should support us the way the Yorubas, Hausas and others support their own. This is one of the ways I will become capacitated to realize my dreams and aspirations for our people. They should believe in us and come out for us, their Anioma sons and daughters actively involved in the Nigerian movie industry. Let us, the Ibusa and Anioma people tell our stories ourselves and sell them to the world. Pen Master, you are a notable Nigerian historian who can scholarly tell the story of our cultural richness. You know our histories so well. The Ibusa people are historically associated with Umejei, the Ubulu-Uku people are the children of the legendary Ezemu and Ogwashi-Uku has heritage in Adaigbo. The beautiful story of Ogboli unites the Igbuzo, Atuma and Issele-Uku communities. We can tell our stories ourselves and share them with the cultural world if our people support us solidly. They should take interest in what we do and accommodate us in their plans as our own people. The Yorubas, Hausas and others do this for their people.

 

Pen Master: Any word for your fans out there?

 

Nicki Moore: I will like to appreciate a lot of people but how much enumeration can I make here? Firstly, I thank the Almighty God who made it all a possibility. Let all glory be returned to my God. I send my massive gratitude to Charles Ozuruigbo (Nwa-ab), my associate producer, Mummy Ebere Okaro for the motherly advice and Don Nice for believing in me always. My family and friends, the love here is massive and I will like to appreciate T Fire, the hottest DJ in London, Charles Lawson, Omo my London family for keeping it real with me in all my movie premieres and shows. These guys are awesome indeed. I am grateful to my fans, the world over who watch and patronize me.  

 

Pen Master: Alright, Nicki Moore, it's been a nice time speaking with you.

 

Nicki Moore: Thank you so much, Pen Master. I appreciate you for all that you do for our dear Ibusa and Anioma people, at large and I say a big thank you to you, sir.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIAMOND JUBILEE AGE: 20 THINGS THE WORLD DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT FRED AJUDUA

DIAMOND JUBILEE AGE: 20 THINGS THE WORLD DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT FRED AJUDUA On January 21 2020, Pen Master paid Chief Fred Ajudua a scheduled visit at his Lagos-VGC Marble Dome Home, a large and imposing house sitting on a hill from where it vigorously engages public views and attention. On entering the house, Pen Master freely walked in and around, in the spirit of the love that always binds the people of Igbuzo. The man, Chief Fred Ajudua often described as the “Architect of Modern Ibusa” is unarguably one of the biggest fish in history to have come out of Ibusa even as it is said that nearly every Ibusa family has benefited from him one way or the other. Beyond what you know about him, there seems many sides you do not know. As the Igbuzo Chief celebrates his 60 th Year birthday, your Pen Master brings you the things you do not know about the highly influential Igbuzo Chief. Pen Master also dug into the Ajudua family photo depository all for your knowledge. Happy reading!

A SHORT HISTORY OF OBOLLO CLAN IN ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA

A SHORT HISTORY OF OBOLLO CLAN IN ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA By Emeka Esogbue Introduction Not many historical literatures on the Obollo people exist for the usual reasons associated with our people who prefer to write the history of mighty and populous peoples already enriched with volumes of historical accounts and records. Thus while there are historical documents on other peoples of Igbo, for Obollo, it is the story of dearth of documents. However, it is within my historical concern that the rich history of this part of Igboland be adequately researched into, documented and preserved for the future generation. I do not hail from this part of Igboland but my historical background, interest and curiosity propelled me towards the acquisition of both oral and written information to put this material together. Geography The various Obollo communities comprising of Obollo Afor, Obollo Etiti, Obollo Eke, Obollo Orie and Obollo Nkwo are strategically situated at the regional bou

SEE HOW ANIOMA PEOPLE DRESS ON THEIR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE THE ERA OF USING OUR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE TO PROMOTE ATTIRES OF OTHER GROUPS IN NIGERIA IS GONE

SEE HOW ANIOMA PEOPLE DRESS ON THEIR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE THE ERA OF USING OUR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE TO PROMOTE ATTIRES OF OTHER GROUPS IN NIGERIA IS GONE Today is Saturday, conventionally set aside for marriage ceremonies. Awareness on how our Anioma brides and grooms attire themselves during their traditional marriage has fast spread and entrenched. We no longer promote other group's cultural attires because we want them to promote our own instead. I say many thanks to our Anioma cultural advocates on this day because our labours to preserve as well as promote the good cultures of our Anioma society have never been in vain. Noticeable now is that in   time of our traditional marriages, we costume ourselves in Akwa-Ocha which brings out our god-given beauty. A few moments after her traditional marriage in Umuodafe, Ibusa on December 28, inside the Agokei palatial home, I visited former Miss Amaka Thelma Agokei, the bride. I was rather late; but I met this beautiful bride t