Skip to main content

Our Anioma People Should Appreciate Our Akwa Ocha Like the Yoruba and Edo Do

 Our Anioma People Should Appreciate Our Akwa Ocha Like the Yoruba and Edo Do



- Akwa-Ocha Designer, Precious Adigwe


Precious Adigwe, a Master’s Degree holder in Mass Communication, is a household name in the design of the Akwa-Ocha cultural fabric of the Anioma people with her products that easily circulates within and outside Anioma, up to overseas, making her one of the most sought after in the local fabric industry. In this interview with PEN MASTER (EMEKA ESOGBUE), Precious Adigwe shares her passion for the fabric, the challenges encountered and ways by which the fabric can be preserved by her people. Excerpts. 


Pen Master: Mrs. Precious Adigwe, good to meet you, again. Well, I know you with utmost familiarity but for the purpose of this interview, I will like you introduced to the rest of our readers. 



Adigwe: Okay, thank you very much, Pen Master. I am Mrs. Precious Nkem Adigwe, the CEO of PrecyPat Akwaocha & Coral Bead's Designs. I am particularly a creative-prenuer and not just an entrepreneur.


Pen Master: Okay, thank you for your brief introduction. Well, would you like to tell us more about yourself? 


Adigwe: Well, I had my primary school education at Santa Maria Private School in Ibusa, my secondary at Federal Government Girl's College in the same Ibusa community. I went further to obtain my Bachelor's Degree in the discipline of Mass Communication from the Delta State University, Abraka, Delta State. Hungered to further educate myself, I returned to the same institution to  acquire my Master's Degree in Mass Communication from the same prestigious Delta State University, still in Delta State. Precious is happily married to Mr. Patrick Adigwe and I am sure you know him very well.



Pen Master: (Smiling) Okay, Mrs. Adigwe, straight to the point now, you have been in the business of Akwa-Ocha designs with your products widely and hugely patronized by your Anioma people. How did you learn this art? Is it a family inheritance?


Adigwe: (Surprised) No, it's not a family inheritance, I actually received the idea of the business and prayed over it. When I got the confirmation in my dream, I discussed it with my husband and he not only keyed into it but went further to learn the skills using his weekends. At the time, it wasn't easy combining work with this training because I was running my Master's Degree program. Fortunately, in my holiday period, he taught me while I also went further to learn more about the stoning and designs. Together we successfully combined our knowledge and ideas. That was how it started. Here we are today exploring our ideas and talents.


Pen Master: Good to know how you learnt the trade but how exactly did this business start for you? 


Adigwe: It started on a good note with so much love and passion for it, and with the support of the Onihea of Ibusa, Chief Roland Nwanze. It was through his empowerment scheme which served as an energizer that made it easy for me. So, I thank God for his providence.

Pen Master: I know that over time, our people especially the young ones have either abandoned the making of the Akwa-Ocha or avoid it. As one experienced in this art, what do you think is responsible for this?

Adigwe: Well, I wouldn't blame our people who abandon this job. In all honesty, it is tedious and demands a lot of attention, carefulness and is also energy sapping. Imagine you sitting down in one place for hours and ending up achieving little that day, all because you need to be on one set of this material for close to four weeks. Again the younger ones don't patronize it that much which makes the market demand slow. Many also see it as not a money-spinning venture.


Pen Master: You are married to Patrick Adigwe from Ogbeowele in Ibusa and we know him to be a philanthropist, a generous and selfless contributor to Ibusa with the pure intention of increasing the general wellbeing of the people. Now, tell us about your husband and how he does these things effortlessly. 


Adigwe: In truth and honesty, I am equally amazed as to how he does these things and achieves these results more especially, when he needs something, he seldom gets anyone to help him but then I believe strongly that he is not the one doing these things but God is the one using him because anytime he steps out to carry out a task, He starts with zero naira and ends up achieving that result and most times achieving even greater than expected. I know he believes in equal right and hates injustice. He also hates to take what does not belong to him. In most cases, he does not like to compromise. You can't believe that even if we do not have anything at home and he has money from his donors, he will not touch it or even borrow from it. That's him. He would rather go hungry and be happy. His passion is his extra strength. Most times our house is a Mecca of all sorts for those seeking to see him for one form of help or the other and funnily, these are less-privileged people. His listening ears to them alone is the beginning of their solution and I appreciate God for giving him such wisdom because I sometimes doubt if he is the one doing these things. If I am not living with him, I would have thought differently but I know him. I Celebrate him always because he is my hero, a source of strength to the weak, a voice to my generation.


Pen Master: Fortunately, you have given us a pleasant narration of what Patrick Adigwe,  your husband stands for. Mrs. Adigwe, let me be more direct: You are married to an Ibusa man. What is your experience of the Ibusa people? Do they really appreciate you? 


Adigwe: (laughing) A big yes to that question! I would say the Ibusa people are wonderful, amazing and full of support. Their love for me is second to none, and I am so appreciative of their patronage and referrals. The interesting thing is that very many of them at home and in the diaspora call me regularly to encourage me never to give up on my goals as this will pave way for greater opportunities for me. I am proud to associate with my Ibusa people and to be identified as an indigene of our wonderful community. We are indeed a loving people.


Pen Master: Let us return to your Akwa-Ocha trade. How do you think the young ones can be encouraged to become more involved in the preservation and promotion of this cultural fabric of your people?


Adigwe: (thinking) Hmm! This question is really a bit challenging but I feel strongly that can be introduced in schools especially in Aniomaland. It requires orientation from students and parents to get this done. Parents also need to assist their children by letting them know the value of this age-long cultural fabric generationally handed us by our Anioma forefathers.


Pen Master: Precious Adigwe, I am taking you back to the Ibusa people. Since you are married to one of them, can you tell us something about the average Ibusa man?

Adigwe: (Laughing aloud) An average Ibusa man would always want to see his wife grow to the top. On my part, I must say my husband is the most supportive man on earth. He gave me his name and platform not only to spring up but to utilize it as an avenue to serve the people. He is my number one fan and all that he wants, is to see me successful and I thank him for giving me the opportunity to grow because if he didn't give his consent, there will be no PrecyPat Brand. There will not be the PrecyPat Brand that you and me discuss in this interview. For this reason, I am thankful for his love and support, which I cherish so much and I do not take this gesture for granted. God bless and uplift him to greater heights.

Pen Master: So, how do you derive the inspiration to do these things?


Adigwe: God is my inspiration. The strong support from my husband whose marketing skills and manner of approach to customers is extraordinary is also a motivating factor in my life. In fact, with the way he does these things, you will think he's an Igbo boy who learnt trade from one Oga. 


Pen Master: Where do you see Precypat Designs, your Akwa-Ocha outfit in the next ten years? 


Adigwe: I see my brand dominating Aniomaland, both home and in the diaspora. In fact, I see different people from several more ethnicities appreciating my works. You see, the Edo people particularly love our coloured Otogwu (Akwaoma) fabric and you will be surprised to know this. I also see in this PrecyPat project, a bigger and global market. By the Grace of God, our efforts are already pointing to this direction.


Pen Master: Precious Adigwe, a word for our Anioma people! 


Adigwe: All I will say to our Anioma people is that they should always appreciate and promote our cultural heritage which is our Akwaocha or Akwaoma. They should be proud of it thereby displaying it and wearing it more often for their church activities, marriage ceremonies, parties and other social-events. Just as a typical Yoruba person will not leave his Aso-oke or Adire for another fabric, our own people should appreciate our own that much. So we should try and adopt that too. Our people should do away with the mindset that Akwaocha is used for burial and traditional marriage ceremonies only. This is one reason we have been innovative all day long, producing different varieties of the colours of this fabric, which is now known as Akwaoma. By so doing we are promoting our culture too. Let's also remember that Akwaocha is the most important cloth an Anioma person must have in his/her box. 'Ani akpati,' as our people call it. Before we call it quits, let me take the opportunity to salute every individual and groups that patronize us. I particularly extend my profound gratitude to the Onihea of Ibusa, Chief Rowland Nwanze for his empowerment to set us up. I also thank Her Royal Majesty, Obi Dr. Martha Dunkwu, the Omu of Anioma and other Anioma brothers and sisters for believing in us. From our end, we will do our best to continue to pleasantly come up with more brilliant and creative designs in the market. 


Pen Master: Alright, Mrs. Adigwe, thank you for speaking with me


Adigwe: Pen Master, thank you too for your time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIAMOND JUBILEE AGE: 20 THINGS THE WORLD DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT FRED AJUDUA

DIAMOND JUBILEE AGE: 20 THINGS THE WORLD DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT FRED AJUDUA On January 21 2020, Pen Master paid Chief Fred Ajudua a scheduled visit at his Lagos-VGC Marble Dome Home, a large and imposing house sitting on a hill from where it vigorously engages public views and attention. On entering the house, Pen Master freely walked in and around, in the spirit of the love that always binds the people of Igbuzo. The man, Chief Fred Ajudua often described as the “Architect of Modern Ibusa” is unarguably one of the biggest fish in history to have come out of Ibusa even as it is said that nearly every Ibusa family has benefited from him one way or the other. Beyond what you know about him, there seems many sides you do not know. As the Igbuzo Chief celebrates his 60 th Year birthday, your Pen Master brings you the things you do not know about the highly influential Igbuzo Chief. Pen Master also dug into the Ajudua family photo depository all for your knowledge. Happy reading!

A SHORT HISTORY OF OBOLLO CLAN IN ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA

A SHORT HISTORY OF OBOLLO CLAN IN ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA By Emeka Esogbue Introduction Not many historical literatures on the Obollo people exist for the usual reasons associated with our people who prefer to write the history of mighty and populous peoples already enriched with volumes of historical accounts and records. Thus while there are historical documents on other peoples of Igbo, for Obollo, it is the story of dearth of documents. However, it is within my historical concern that the rich history of this part of Igboland be adequately researched into, documented and preserved for the future generation. I do not hail from this part of Igboland but my historical background, interest and curiosity propelled me towards the acquisition of both oral and written information to put this material together. Geography The various Obollo communities comprising of Obollo Afor, Obollo Etiti, Obollo Eke, Obollo Orie and Obollo Nkwo are strategically situated at the regional bou

SEE HOW ANIOMA PEOPLE DRESS ON THEIR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE THE ERA OF USING OUR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE TO PROMOTE ATTIRES OF OTHER GROUPS IN NIGERIA IS GONE

SEE HOW ANIOMA PEOPLE DRESS ON THEIR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE THE ERA OF USING OUR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE TO PROMOTE ATTIRES OF OTHER GROUPS IN NIGERIA IS GONE Today is Saturday, conventionally set aside for marriage ceremonies. Awareness on how our Anioma brides and grooms attire themselves during their traditional marriage has fast spread and entrenched. We no longer promote other group's cultural attires because we want them to promote our own instead. I say many thanks to our Anioma cultural advocates on this day because our labours to preserve as well as promote the good cultures of our Anioma society have never been in vain. Noticeable now is that in   time of our traditional marriages, we costume ourselves in Akwa-Ocha which brings out our god-given beauty. A few moments after her traditional marriage in Umuodafe, Ibusa on December 28, inside the Agokei palatial home, I visited former Miss Amaka Thelma Agokei, the bride. I was rather late; but I met this beautiful bride t