With Music, I contribute my quota of development to Anioma -Anioma Musician, Okafor Eluemunor



Okafor Eluemunor Diyoyo, popularly called ‘Onyeoma Diyoyo’ by his music fans, one of Anioma’s experienced grassroots musicians played host to EMEKA ESOGBUE. In this interview, he speaks on his sources of inspiration, his humble beginning, why Anioma kind of music is gradually dying and how to revive it, personal efforts geared at correcting societal ills and many more. Excerpts.  



Esogbue: You are a noted Anioma cultural musician and your fans praise you for your genre. Can you share with our readers what makes your style of music unique?

Okafor: (smiles) Thank you very much. Well, I play the typical Anioma music that Anioma people and beyond enjoy. They say it is danceable. I know, I send messages across with our Anioma kind of music. I send messages to both the old and young about the wellness of life. I think I have in a way fussed the old with the new to make our Anioma music acceptable by all. Secondly, I play my music with ease meaning you will always see me smiling on stage because music is my hubby. My fans may be surprised to know that I did not learn music. It is a gift from God Almighty.

Esogbue: Kindly take us down the memory lane on how music as a career started for you.

Okafor: (laughs) I must say that music lives in musically talented people. I started music as a child, right from my primary school days. I was one of the band boys at a school called Ezememse Primary School in Ibusa, Delta State. I remember I was the leader of a cultural band which was known as Umu Nwuye Nkete. That cultural group later transformed to Umu Nwuye Nwajuebue. Within this period too, I was with a mixed cultural group called Egwu Aja. I later joined another dancing group known as Ife Onye Wepu Anya. It was popularly called ‘Umu Tick Madam’. There was Otu Onye Fu Eziokwu which I also belonged to. I cannot also forget Akalusiabana led by Nwabu Uwaechue. It was this musical group that made me popular. Back then, in Lagos, I joined Out Ifeonye Lolu Nwamadu led by Anioma music legend, Etiti Okonji. We released popular tracks that included ‘Uwagadinma’ and ‘Dem Say Dem Say’, which did very well in the market. For certain reasons, I returned to re-group my Akalausaiabana Band before eventually embarking to rebrand my present band which is now called ‘Onye Oma Diyoyo and the Heritage Band of Anioma’.

Esogbue: Anioma cultural enthusiasts have said that Anioma local music is gradually dying because our young ones are not showing interest. What in your opinion is responsible for this development?

Okafor: (frowns his face) Yes! young men are being discouraged because our people do not seem to place very high value on our indigenous music to the extent that this cultural aspect of our people may be said to be passing a phase of hatred. Our people need to do a lot to arouse interest in this area. Personally, if I may render advice here, I would encourage anyone that has interest in Anioma music to go ahead and do something. Though nobody will identify with you until you start making it that is not enough to discourage anyone. All that are needed are self-encouragement. Despite my talent, I encourage myself.

Esogbue: How in your own little way have you been ensuring that people take after you? Are there plans to ensure that the young ones step into your shoes to assure sustainability of your brand of music?

Okafor: Yes for sure! You must understand that most of our young ones are desperate to make quick wealth therefore they are always inclined to be the master and not follower. Many of them cannot lower their heads to learn. On my part, I work with humble ones, those who know what they want and ready to make it. These are the kinds of people I open up to on the secrets of making good music.

Esogbue: Some people have opined that there has been a departure from using music to correct the ills of the society as most local musicians now take to praise singing. Does this also apply to Anioma music?

Okafor: Well, for those of us who understand the essence and the social benefits music, we sing, not necessarily to promote individuals but to re-make the society. I do not just do songs, I use songs to contribute my own quota of development towards the growth of the society. All the same, if a person merits honour because of good deeds towards the society, I recognize him with my music.

Esogbue: What keeps you going on stage?

Okafor: When I remember that I have huge fans, when I remember that a lot of people out there are interested in what I have to offer them, I do it well. But this cannot ever be possible without divine inspiration from God Almighty.

Esogbue: What is your advice to aspiring Anioma musicians?

Okafor: There is no harm in trying so they should just keep trying without losing hope. They should be focused because failing is never allowed.

Esogbue: Are there some things your fans do not know about you that you intend to share with us?

Okafor: Yes, on stage I am a different person and off-stage, I am also a different person. On stage, I strive to give my best and off-stage, it’s pleasure of some sort.

Esogbue: Thank you so much for this interview

Okafor: You are welcome and God bless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIAMOND JUBILEE AGE: 20 THINGS THE WORLD DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT FRED AJUDUA

A SHORT HISTORY OF OBOLLO CLAN IN ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA

SEE HOW ANIOMA PEOPLE DRESS ON THEIR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE THE ERA OF USING OUR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE TO PROMOTE ATTIRES OF OTHER GROUPS IN NIGERIA IS GONE