Skip to main content

I Hardly Sleep because I Want to Meet My People’s Demand - Hon Hilary Okobi



I Hardly Sleep because I Want to Meet My People’s Demand

-       Hon Hilary Okobi

 

About five months after his election unopposed, he rebuilt a market under his constituency much to the amazement of his community. In this interview with PEN MASTER (Emeka Esogbue), a media personality, Hilary Ifechukwude Okobi, the Counselor representing Ward 5 of Ibusa in Oshimili North Local Government Area of Delta State speaks on his counsellorship feats so far, evaluates the Oshimili North Local Government and answers other pressing questions. Excerpts:

 

Pen Media: I agree that a lot of people in your locality and beyond have now heard of your name. To others, who might not have known you, who is "Hilary Okobi?”

 

Okobi: (Smiling) Okay, well, thank you very much Pen Master. Hilary Ifechukwude Okobi, as I am fully known is a grassroots politician who started his politics with student unionism in University of Benin where I obtained my Diploma and later University of Port Harcourt, Rivers State. It was at the University of Port Harcourt that I emerged as the President of Anioma Student. I later rose to become the Chairman of National Association of Delta State Students of University of Port Harcourt Branch. Subsequently, I was voted the first President of Delta North National Students. I would say that I gathered enormous experience in my active years of unionism. After my University days, I became the councilor of ward 5 in Oshimili North Local Government Area. It is an abode of peace-loving people under the visionary leadership of Hon innocent Esewezie, the Council Chairman. My parents are Mr. Victor Dele Okobi and Mrs. Anthonia Ngozi Okobi. My father hails from Nkpanyala in Umueakea Quarters of Ibusa while my mother hails from Okpanam, Delta. Happily, both parents are from Oshimili North Local Government Area of Delta state, two neighbouring communities that have been relating very well since foundation. I would say that I am always interested in utilizing the votes cast for me to achieve the dreams of my people. I have always been considerate of the general welfare of people, which is why I am nicknamed "Oji Admission Emegor” by our teeming youths in my university days.

 

Pen Master: What an interesting nickname! What does it define really?

 

Okobi: (Laughing aloud) Well, it speaks of the numerous qualified youths from our Anioma area that I assisted to gain admission into higher institutions in the country.

 

Pen Master: Okay, Hon Okobi, congratulations to you on your honour as the winner of the Pen Master Award for Excellent Commitment to Anioma Development. You received this award in meritorious recognition of your renovation of the Ashia Okpulukpu Market in Ibusa. Share this information with our readers. 

 

Okobi: I must thank you beforehand. This is one of the markets relied on by our people for their daily transactions. In the community, we also have the Ashia Eke, which is the largest but transactions only happen here on Eke market days in contrast of the Okpulukpu Market. To cut the long story short, I noticed that the market became abandoned for years due to its state of deterioration and prior to becoming a counselor, I had often asked myself what I could do for my people that would affect their lives and the germination of the renovation of this market struck me with action. I soon found some ways to carry it out and here we are today.

 

Pen Master: Interesting! But tell us more about this market in question

 

Okobi: Hmm! Like I said, it is an ancient market probably established to complement the larger Ashie Eke Market and also give access to the people lying close to the market. Ashia Okpulukpu or Okpulukpu Market that we call it today is located at the Nkpanyala Junction along the Umejei Road of the community. It is strategic. Since I am not a historian, I may be unable to tell the history of its foundation. I really don’t know much about the cultural reasons for the foundation of the market. However, that we have the market in good shape and it is serving the commercial objectives of the community is sufficient for us.

 

Pen Master: …and it won you an award…

 

Okobi: (Smiling) …by the special grace of God. Yes!

 

Pen Master: …so were you expecting this award…?

 

Okobi: (Laughing) I have received several awards in the past prior to becoming a counselor but this particular one came as a very big surprise to me. The first few calls I received that early morning from our people both in Ibusa and Okpanam called my attention to the publication. I had to hurriedly go online to find the announcement to read to know what was going on. If for anything, it shows that those of us, elected to serve our people are monitored by the general public and we should be very careful with the mandate given us to ensure that we do not divert the mandate wastefully or remain idle disappointingly. To answer your question, I wasn’t expecting the award because I felt I did the normal thing that I should do for our people. If I was not a politician, maybe, I should have still done it. Anyway, it became recognized. Honestly, I am happy about the award and wish that every honour of this nature comes without politicking and monetary gratification to simulate it. I find the award encouraging and thank the Pen Master Award Selection Committee for finding me worthy of this honour.

 

Pen Master: Congratulations to you, again. So why did you join politics and not into anything else?

 

Okobi: …Pen Master, I am in politics because I want to touch the lives of my people and to alleviate their suffering. I want to do this by providing the needed basic amenities within my capacity. Don’t forget that I was elected unopposed. That is to tell you the trust my people repose in me.

 

Pen Master: As a Counselor in Anioma, do you think the Oshimili North Local Government is doing well?

 

Okobi: Yes, Oshimili North is doing very well. My leader and brother, Hon Innocent Esewezie, the Council Boss, is a visionary leader. He inculcates leadership qualities into his followers and tends to guide them when they detract. I have been a good beneficiary of his guide and resourcefulness. Pen Master, as you know, he has done a lot within few months in office so that I could describe him as the right king on the right throne. He rebuilt the Oshimili North Liason Office in Ibusa and built the Executive Complex in Akwukwu-Igbo just to mention a few. My fellow counselors are also doing great works in their constituencies because we work as a team in the name of the Council. We come together to hold meetings and think the good of the Local Government. With the emergence of our Governor in the person of His Excellency Dr. Senator Arthur Ifeanyi Okowa, “Ekwueme, the Road Master,” who is also the pioneer of SMART Delta, our Oshimili North has experienced series of developments from human capital to infrastructural development. 

 

Pen Master: let me ask you this question. Is this counsellorship position juicy?

 

Okobi: No, not Juicy, for me. But some persons outside this seat may think it Juicy. As for me, my being a councilor is to serve the people and I believe that I am doing at my own time and level. 

 

Pen Master: …but how was the renovation of a market possible for you within 4-5 months of your election into office? I mean your salary affording the renovation of the market.

 

Okobi: (Surprised) Maybe I should not be saying this to the public now but I actually added the loan I took from a bank to my salary, and added all to my personal savings to see that our people’s market was rebuilt. 

 

Pen Master: And in any case, what have been the reactions of your people to this?

 

Okobi: The commendations have been enormous. People have been pouring encomiums on me here and there. I can't tell it all. Even the apex and umbrella body that unites all students in Okpanam honoured me with an award for community Development. Our Nkpanyala indigenes at home and in Diaspora also called to appreciate me. The traders accepted what I did for them in the market and have never stopped to thank me. I think our people did appreciate this delivery on performance.

 

Pen Master: Beyond the market renovation, what has been your counsellorship experience?

 

Okobi: The position is not an easy task as I have to struggle to meet the people’s interest and demand. Sometimes, I don’t sleep at nights because I have to think up ways to meet the people’s demands. I call on the people of my Ward to support me the more and think up ideas. 

 

Pen Master: With the spates of insecurity currently rocking the country, how can the Anioma area be secured?

 

Okobi: The insecurity issue is a national disease and not peculiar to Anioma. Maybe we should consider the call for state policing to fight the insecurity issues. Let us also not forget that the government needs to engage the youth and introduce fruitful policies that will create jobs for the them. An idle mind is the devil’s workshop, as they say. If our youths are engaged in one skill or the other, it will help to curtail insecurity in our Anioma communities. One more thing, our communities should empower their vigilante groups to help fight insecurity.

 

Pen Master: With you, it is always Okpanam. Hon Okobi, what is your connection with Okpanam? 

 

Okobi: (laughing aloud) This is the particular question that always surfaces every time I grant interviews of this magnitude. Remember I said earlier in this interview that I am from Okpanam and at the same time, Ibusa. I am from Okpanam because my mother is from the community and Ibusa because my father hails from here though I was born in Benin. I grew up in Benin and later Okpanam. All the same, there is nothing about the culture and tradition of the people of Okpanam that I do not know about. This is my maternal home.

 

Pen Master: Hon Hilary Okobi, thank you, for speaking to me

 

Okobi: Thank you, sir, Pen Master for your time. I appreciate you.

 

 

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIAMOND JUBILEE AGE: 20 THINGS THE WORLD DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT FRED AJUDUA

DIAMOND JUBILEE AGE: 20 THINGS THE WORLD DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT FRED AJUDUA On January 21 2020, Pen Master paid Chief Fred Ajudua a scheduled visit at his Lagos-VGC Marble Dome Home, a large and imposing house sitting on a hill from where it vigorously engages public views and attention. On entering the house, Pen Master freely walked in and around, in the spirit of the love that always binds the people of Igbuzo. The man, Chief Fred Ajudua often described as the “Architect of Modern Ibusa” is unarguably one of the biggest fish in history to have come out of Ibusa even as it is said that nearly every Ibusa family has benefited from him one way or the other. Beyond what you know about him, there seems many sides you do not know. As the Igbuzo Chief celebrates his 60 th Year birthday, your Pen Master brings you the things you do not know about the highly influential Igbuzo Chief. Pen Master also dug into the Ajudua family photo depository all for your knowledge. Happy reading!

A SHORT HISTORY OF OBOLLO CLAN IN ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA

A SHORT HISTORY OF OBOLLO CLAN IN ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA By Emeka Esogbue Introduction Not many historical literatures on the Obollo people exist for the usual reasons associated with our people who prefer to write the history of mighty and populous peoples already enriched with volumes of historical accounts and records. Thus while there are historical documents on other peoples of Igbo, for Obollo, it is the story of dearth of documents. However, it is within my historical concern that the rich history of this part of Igboland be adequately researched into, documented and preserved for the future generation. I do not hail from this part of Igboland but my historical background, interest and curiosity propelled me towards the acquisition of both oral and written information to put this material together. Geography The various Obollo communities comprising of Obollo Afor, Obollo Etiti, Obollo Eke, Obollo Orie and Obollo Nkwo are strategically situated at the regional bou

SEE HOW ANIOMA PEOPLE DRESS ON THEIR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE THE ERA OF USING OUR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE TO PROMOTE ATTIRES OF OTHER GROUPS IN NIGERIA IS GONE

SEE HOW ANIOMA PEOPLE DRESS ON THEIR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE THE ERA OF USING OUR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE TO PROMOTE ATTIRES OF OTHER GROUPS IN NIGERIA IS GONE Today is Saturday, conventionally set aside for marriage ceremonies. Awareness on how our Anioma brides and grooms attire themselves during their traditional marriage has fast spread and entrenched. We no longer promote other group's cultural attires because we want them to promote our own instead. I say many thanks to our Anioma cultural advocates on this day because our labours to preserve as well as promote the good cultures of our Anioma society have never been in vain. Noticeable now is that in   time of our traditional marriages, we costume ourselves in Akwa-Ocha which brings out our god-given beauty. A few moments after her traditional marriage in Umuodafe, Ibusa on December 28, inside the Agokei palatial home, I visited former Miss Amaka Thelma Agokei, the bride. I was rather late; but I met this beautiful bride t