Skip to main content

I Invested to Develop the Ibusa Community

 I Invested to Develop the Ibusa Community

 

-       Asaba Reading Club Initiator, Maxwell Chiejina Ajufo

 

He is an entrepreneur and politician, the CEO of Maxwell Breads and more recently, Oshimili North Local Government Area Chairmansh


ip aspirant. In this interview, the Initiator of Asaba Reading Club tells PEN MASTER (EMEKA ESOGBUE) his investment experience in Ibusa, his hometown, his race to occupy the Oshimili North Local Government and reasons illegal sales of land will persist among the youths of Ibusa and many more.   

 

Pen Master: Mr. Maxwell Ajufo, let us start this interview like this. I admit that you are well-known in Ibusa but it will just be nice for our general readers to know you.

 

Ajufo: Pen Master, I thank you very much sir for the opportunity to sell my mind to the people. Well, Ajufo Maxwell Chiejina is an entrepreneur and community development minded young man born into the family of Late P. N. D.  Ajufo of Umuolodi in Umuehea of Ibusa in Delta State. He is an only child of his parents. He attended Regina Mundi Nursery and Primary School, St. Patrick's College, Asaba before proceeding to the prestigious University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State where he bagged Bachelor of Technology Degree in Project Management Technology. He later proceeded to the University of Virginia, Darden School of Business where he earned a certificate in Digital Transformation. Maxwell Ajufo for you.

 

Pen Master:  So what was growing up like as an only child?

 

Ajufo: Unlike most only children that I know of, I grew up guided by strict and disciplined parentage. My parents especially my dad thought me how to be strong in a cruel world and be prepared for any challenge life may throw at you. I remember the times my late dad would stand me up to read from books above my age for hours or send me to solve tasks which were above my age at the time. At such times, I used to think my dad was the most wicked person on earth but now that he is gone and am grown I appreciate all he did for me because he shaped me. My growing up exposed me to times of lack and times of plenty as a result of which I am always comfortable anywhere life throws me whilst always strategizing to be the best in any situation. This foundation of strict parenting has made me who I am today and who I will become tomorrow.  I am most grateful for the foundation.

 

Pen Master:  You touched an area that many children missed in their years of growing. But now, straight to your professions, you are in production of breads. You also initiated Asaba Reading Club and youth programs in the community. How exactly do you combine all of these endeavours? 

 

Ajufo: Hmm! I have always been a man of many parts, endowed with the creativity to think and develop initiatives that will affect the common man and community positively towards the actualization of a just and egalitarian society. I have been able to achieve my several endeavours because I am the people's person and also a great team player, able to sale visions to those around me to be able to take ownership of these courses hence, the growth and development of all my initiatives as I successfully have them today.

 

Pen Master: Still on your investment abilities, you are essentially an investor in Ibusa, where many find avoidable, what was your impetus to commit capital in the hope of gain in this community? Many will like to know.

 

Ajufo: This is a very good question but let me say that in all my endeavours, I always think Ibusa first hence, my psychology towards investing and encouraging investments in Ibusa is for the socioeconomic and sociocultural development of the town being the only community that we all have. I always believe that if we can encourage more economic investments in our town, we will be able to address employment issues as well as reduce some of the social vices prevalent amongst the present day young generation of Ibusa as a result of unemployment. In taking risks to invest in our Ibusa, we have triumphed in what some people may think difficult and impossible.

 

Pen Master: On the other hand, you are the initiator of Asaba Reading Club…

 

Ajufo: …Asaba Reading Club was founded with the mindset of building a circle of young people or young at heart persons who love the culture of reading or desire to read to join like minds in bringing back the reading culture amongst young people. We aim to change the reading culture of young people in this 21st century of social media lifestyle. We encourage our members to read and review one book a month and 12 books a year. Also we plant or set up reading clubs in secondary schools to help build a generation who will be desirous of reading and also follow the course of education in our society.

 

Pen Master: just wondering why you went for this name in describing the initiative?

 

Ajufo: (Laughs loudly) Well, the name, "Asaba Reading Club" was chosen because at the time of birthing the idea, I lived in Asaba hence, I decided to go with the name in a bid to identify with the community that I live and grew up in.

 

Pen Master: Ajufo, maybe we should divert a bit. Why in your opinion are illegal sales of land in Ibusa persistently on the increase? Are you in your youth programs or through the Ibusa Youth Council passing the awareness that same sellers will desire lands for their children to inhabit tomorrow? 

 

Ajufo: This is a topical issue that must or should be addressed and nipped in the bud or else a day will come there would be no more lands for us and given that the culture of land sales have eaten deep in the fabric of our existence, we will have a situation where people will sale their front yards to strangers whilst they are relegated to the backyard like the case of Onitsha in Anambra state. This situation is primarily the resultant effect of a society that has been distorted with the ideology of free money or quick money syndrome without any form of building a system that advocate for skills acquisition and encouraging entrepreneurial endeavours. The leadership of the town also has a lot of role to play in this advocacy by living by example as well as encouraging young people who are desirous of developing skills and entrepreneurial pursuits like the commendable initiative of the Obuzor of Ibusa through his Otu Ehulu Fulu Women Society, the humanitarian gestures of Chief Fred Ajudua, Mr. Delly Ajufo and Chief Roland Nwanze, among others. In the same light, the leadership of Ifeanyi Asiodu needs to step up in their leadership by championing this advocacy because most of the perpetrators of this illicit sales of Ibusa ancestral lands come from the youth age grades. The solution to this illicit land sales is not a one person fight but involves the collective efforts of all in the community. It also requires a lot of advocacy and mindset re-engineering.

 

Pen Master: You have been reported in some quarters to think politics. Does this describe your ambition in a couple of years to come?

 

Ajufo: (Laughing) Yes, I am and presently running for the Office of the Chairman- Oshimili North Local Government. My mission is to transform Oshimili North Local Government Area from being allocation reliant to a self-sustaining revenue generating economy while my vision is to have a vibrant production based economy where enterprise can thrive, jobs will be available for the unemployed, children will embrace education, health care and security will be available for all.

 

Pen Master: Ajufo, are you hoping to leave any legacy for the future generation? 

 

Ajufo: My greatest desire is to contribute my quota in building a generation of young people desirous of education and economically independent thereby being able to replicate same for the people and community for the good of all.

 

Pen Master: Anything you would want to change in Anioma by extension?

 

Ajufo: I look forward to changing the narrative of young dreams being killed because of the selfish reasons of persons around them.

 

Pen Master: What is your advice to the present Igbuzo youth?

 

Ajufo: I will like us to know that we are powerful beyond measures and we can achieve anything we desire to achieve hence we should resist the urge of being used and dumped by politicians for their selfish purpose.

 

Pen Master: Thank you for your time.

 

Ajufo: Thank you very much, sir Pen Master.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIAMOND JUBILEE AGE: 20 THINGS THE WORLD DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT FRED AJUDUA

DIAMOND JUBILEE AGE: 20 THINGS THE WORLD DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT FRED AJUDUA On January 21 2020, Pen Master paid Chief Fred Ajudua a scheduled visit at his Lagos-VGC Marble Dome Home, a large and imposing house sitting on a hill from where it vigorously engages public views and attention. On entering the house, Pen Master freely walked in and around, in the spirit of the love that always binds the people of Igbuzo. The man, Chief Fred Ajudua often described as the “Architect of Modern Ibusa” is unarguably one of the biggest fish in history to have come out of Ibusa even as it is said that nearly every Ibusa family has benefited from him one way or the other. Beyond what you know about him, there seems many sides you do not know. As the Igbuzo Chief celebrates his 60 th Year birthday, your Pen Master brings you the things you do not know about the highly influential Igbuzo Chief. Pen Master also dug into the Ajudua family photo depository all for your knowledge. Happy reading!

A SHORT HISTORY OF OBOLLO CLAN IN ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA

A SHORT HISTORY OF OBOLLO CLAN IN ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA By Emeka Esogbue Introduction Not many historical literatures on the Obollo people exist for the usual reasons associated with our people who prefer to write the history of mighty and populous peoples already enriched with volumes of historical accounts and records. Thus while there are historical documents on other peoples of Igbo, for Obollo, it is the story of dearth of documents. However, it is within my historical concern that the rich history of this part of Igboland be adequately researched into, documented and preserved for the future generation. I do not hail from this part of Igboland but my historical background, interest and curiosity propelled me towards the acquisition of both oral and written information to put this material together. Geography The various Obollo communities comprising of Obollo Afor, Obollo Etiti, Obollo Eke, Obollo Orie and Obollo Nkwo are strategically situated at the regional bou

SEE HOW ANIOMA PEOPLE DRESS ON THEIR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE THE ERA OF USING OUR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE TO PROMOTE ATTIRES OF OTHER GROUPS IN NIGERIA IS GONE

SEE HOW ANIOMA PEOPLE DRESS ON THEIR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE THE ERA OF USING OUR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE TO PROMOTE ATTIRES OF OTHER GROUPS IN NIGERIA IS GONE Today is Saturday, conventionally set aside for marriage ceremonies. Awareness on how our Anioma brides and grooms attire themselves during their traditional marriage has fast spread and entrenched. We no longer promote other group's cultural attires because we want them to promote our own instead. I say many thanks to our Anioma cultural advocates on this day because our labours to preserve as well as promote the good cultures of our Anioma society have never been in vain. Noticeable now is that in   time of our traditional marriages, we costume ourselves in Akwa-Ocha which brings out our god-given beauty. A few moments after her traditional marriage in Umuodafe, Ibusa on December 28, inside the Agokei palatial home, I visited former Miss Amaka Thelma Agokei, the bride. I was rather late; but I met this beautiful bride t