Our people should market Iwu and bring commerce to it - Emmanuel Nwadei tells Umuodafe elders



Our people should market Iwu and bring commerce to it
-       Emmanuel Nwadei tells Umuodafe elders

Mr. Emmanuel Nwadei from Ibusa in Oshimili North Local Government Area of Delta State, the Vice-President of the American Branch of the Ibusa Community Development Union (ICDU) is known for his abiding characteristics towards the preservation as well as promotion of his people’s culture. His exceptional interest in Iwu Festival of the Ibusa people and charitableness towards the development of the community is well-known.

In this interview with EMEKA ESOGBUE, Senior Editor, Homage Magazine, he offers ways by which Iwu Festival of the Ibusa people may be improved. Excerpts.   

Homage Magazine: Mr. Nwadei, much has been said about you in good light and we are happy to meet you. May our readers please meet you?

Nwadei: Thank you Mr. Esogbue, my name is Isieze Emma Danmozie Nwadei. My parents are Daniel Mozie Nwadei and Comfort Udoka Okade of Odafe and Idumuejije respectively. I am from Umuodafe quarters of Ibusa and I belong to what I like to call ‘special breed’ being that I am the middle part of series of twin births by my parents. My mother was delivered of three sets of twins consecutively that are my older ones Peter and Paul, myself with my twin brother Daniel, and my sister Maria Ebelechukwu and her brother.

Homage Magazine: As an illustrious son of Ibusa from Umuodafe and an Ibusa culture enthusiast especially one known to express so much interest in Iwu Festival of the Umuodafe people, will you please share with us, the first time you ever watched this festival and what was the memory like?

Nwadei: (laughs aloud) …I laugh at the phrase “illustrious son of Ibusa” as used by you to describe me because I can’t remember when precisely I watched my first Iwu festival. However, I remember vividly, as a kid that I have danced at the festival. Actually, I was born in Lagos, but grew up like most people in Kaduna State, Nigeria where my dad worked with the government. We were displaced during the massacre of the Igbos in the Northern Nigeria. The story of that escape from Kaduna I hope to share someday, but needless to say we came to our hometown, Ibusa for safety until soldiers came again to kick us out. Again story for another day. To answer your question directly, I really cannot remember the first time I watched the Iwu Festival as celebrated by my people but I do remember I have danced to the festival.

Homage Magazine: A lot of your Ibusa brothers and sisters express delight over your strong attachment to Iwu. What typical trait binds you to this festival?

Nwadei: Well, my dad had four brothers Obi Gabriel Nwadei, Pa Joseph, Pa Francis, Pa Michael and one sister Ma Elina Ofuani. However, Obi Nwadei was the patriarch of our family and was renowned for his great accomplishments as a farmer, warrior and family man. As a child, I did not have a granddad hence I looked up to him as one because of the role model responsibilities that he delivered beautifully. He was the Oyeisi Ndi Enem (leader of Enem group) in his time, and I was so fascinated by his role. In those days during the pre-Iwu days, we felt very privileged because we felt exempted from some of the rules that were expected of Ndi Umuodafe during those three days. The Obis and by extension the Nwadei family homes were always exempt from these rules. This meant we could break the firewood, play loudly and move freely without fear of prosecution or fine. I was always marveled watching Obi Nwadei go through his preparations. I would sit and watch him all through the traditional process. When he was done, he would request I come with him as he went out to seek his fellow celebrants before departing to assemble with the rest of them at their meet point. He would always get to a point towards Odukwu, turn around and ask him to proceed to ogbor Iwu and await his arrival, since I could not proceed further with him to the sacred location. I would then join my brothers, cousins and friends at the dance. The memory of the music that emanated from the flute still rings in me till today. We were all entertained by Double, Benson and Peter in the company of the retiring Eze Iwus. It was always a festive sight, full of joy. The music and the songs were totally African and I loved it. Back then, you could be in church on Christmas day and the dancers come through, and remarkable most people would gaze out through the windows of St Augustine church drawing mean looks from Amechi Nwa Fada and the Catechist at that time. Sorry I talked too much, but this is part of my childhood and it did not remove anything from me, but added to my appreciation for my hometown, family and culture.

Homage Magazine: If you were opportune to ever introduce anything to this aspect of the people’s culture as a way of improving or selling it to the world, what would that possibly be?

Nwadei: That could be to improve the scope of the festival and market it, and to introduce commerce to it as well. I believe that our culture is a very powerful tool that we can harness to form a stronger community, and create economic opportunities for our people. So it may not be the Brazilian festival, or the state sponsored festivals in Calabar, Argungu or other parts of Nigeria. But if I could change one thing, I would improve its marketing to attract more visitors and have a more organized festival with arts and cultural activities in between. Kind of a cultural trade fair for the entire Ibusa with the Iwus of Ibusa at the center. I did say Iwus right?

Homage Magazine: Now as one coming from Iwu background with so much experience in this festival and being an ardent follower over the years too, there is no doubt that you must have some regrets about this festival as celebrated in recent times. Would you want to share any of this perceived abnormally with us?

Nwadei: Well over time our people that is my brothers and sisters in their quest to conquer the greater Nigeria at home and in Diaspora, all moved away and did not frequent home as expected. Back then, Ibusa dignitaries all came out, seated at the town center to watch the festival. The dignitaries included the Ashibuogwus, Halims, Agokeis, Umunnas, Uchidiunos, Ajufos of Umuehe, Nwokolos of Umuodafe with our famous sister, Rosemary and so many more. I truly wish I could name them all. The Nwalupue, Nwadishis, Akpanis, Aniemeke (the teacher) were all included. It was a festive period in Ibusa with everyone either watching or participating to bring glamour to it. However, things are not the same anymore. Without going into what necessitated lack of interest now, I just want to play my part to make a difference and pay homage in memory of my family patriarch for all he did to hold his family together. I have no idea what this will culminate in, but I am having a ball being part of it, and will continue to do so until I am not.  

Homage Magazine: Mr. Nwadei, we must thank you for talking to us

Nwadei: Thank you so much too. Your love for our community and its culture is impressive. Let me add here too that it is up to us to tell the world that we are a proud, hardworking and successful people. Indeed, we are resilient to preserve the very good aspects of our culture.

Homage International Magazine is a publication of Homage Ventures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIAMOND JUBILEE AGE: 20 THINGS THE WORLD DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT FRED AJUDUA

A SHORT HISTORY OF OBOLLO CLAN IN ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA

SEE HOW ANIOMA PEOPLE DRESS ON THEIR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE THE ERA OF USING OUR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE TO PROMOTE ATTIRES OF OTHER GROUPS IN NIGERIA IS GONE