Skip to main content

I will go into politics if my Ibusa people call on me -Kwasa Amatokwu

First published in July 22nd, 2014 | Author: Emeka Esogbue


I will go into politics if my Ibusa people call on me

-Kwasa Amatokwu


His name is Emmanuel Chukwunwike Amatokwu but he is popularly called ‘Kwasa’ by his Ibusa people. He is known for coordinating Ibusa affairs and annual Inter-village football tournament in Ibusa that has produced the likes of Emmanuel Olisedebe who played for the Polish senior team; Kingsley Obiekwu who has also featured in the tournament; Mike Ochei and many more. In this interview, Mr. Amatokwu, a football administrator and retired banker who is generally respected for his high level of integrity and efficiency speaks with PEN MASTER on a number of issues ranging from the underdevelopment of Ibusa, his success in football administration in the town to his knack for working with the youths. He also speaks on the only condition that could force him into politics. These and many more are provided for in this interview. Excerpts.


Pen Master: In Ibusa and beyond, they call you ‘Kwasa’ but a lot of people out there have been wondering how you came about this nickname. Mr. Amatokwu, what is the source of ‘Kwasa?


Amatokwu: (smiles) Thank you very much Emeka Esogbue. The name ‘Kwasa’ came about when I was a goal keeper for the mosquito team in my class two at the famous St Thomas’ College, Ibusa. While a soccer match was going on I saved an unbelievable shot which my team mates thought was already a goal but to their surprise, a male fan ran to the field and gave me money and said you saved this ball like a well-known goalkeeper of then Igbonoba Grammar school, Agbor called Kwasalopo. That eventually became my nickname till date.


Pen Master: You are an illustrious son of Ibusa in Oshimili North Local Government Area of Delta State. Would you say are satisfied with the level of development in your town?


Amatokwu: (shakes his head) Well I would simply say that I am far from being satisfied.


Pen Master: A lot of people continually praise you for having done well in the area of youth development particularly in your community. How did you achieve it?


Amatokwu: Emeka Esogbue, you see in life, you must decide what you want before attaining accompanying goals. I sincerely love legacy and want to be remembered for projects and lives touched by me long after I am gone. That is exactly the reason for my involvement in youth development especially at this time that it seems that not much people are there for our teeming youths.


Pen Master: But some people have expressed pessimism as regards dealing with the youths. The argument held by them is that it is difficult working with them because of their sensitive stage of life. What are the challenges often encountered by you in this area and what keeps you going?


Amatokwu: (cuts in) Thank you very much. You see. You must exhibit a very high degree of humility and wisdom. Simply put, all you need do is to bring yourself down to their level. Don’t forget too that our youths have been neglected over the time by some of our leaders of this nation. This makes it quite doable as well effective to be an influence over them since they are in dire need of mentorship. The only challenges I have is that there appears to be no provisions for the youths in the scheme of things in Nigeria.


Pen Master: Now, not a few will agree with me that there is now stability in the security background of Ibusa. As a notable member of the Ibusa Community Police, how did this arrangement work out?


Amatokwu: Everything in life is about planning. We, in ICP plan ahead of time over what to do and we go ahead immediately to get them done. We have shown high degree of transparency by leaving every donation received in the public domain for everyone to follow up. That alone encourages all to become involved.


Pen Master Now Mr. Amatokwu, would you readily declare that the Ibusa Community Police is getting enough assistance from the indigenes of the town?


Amatokwu: Well, not fully but it is work in progress for the community police system. We will continue to appeal to the illustrious sons and daughters of our dear town to support us in what we do.


Pen Master: Now you are credited with the organization of the annual Ibusa Inter-village tournament. Not only has it gained ground but has continued to produce talents for the community. What is the secret behind the success of this tournament for decades now?


Amatokwu: I should attribute it to hard-work, good planning, early preparation, integrity of people involved and team work. The people of Ibusa have also been acting as support to us.


Pen Master: Critics of Ibusa maintain that despite the blessing of the town with very many scholars, successful businessmen and political representatives, the town remains underdeveloped. What in your opinion is responsible for it?


Amatokwu: As a people, we have too many internal problems. The issue of Diokpa/Obuzor crisis has eaten deep into us and has led to the division of the town. We have this ‘I don’t care attitude’ about our town and ourselves. That in my candid opinion is responsible for the present underdeveloped status of the town.


Pen Master: Now, tell us. Your status as well as popularity is fast growing among your people of Ibusa supported with hard-work and achievements. If called upon in any political capacity to serve your people, would you readily accept this call?


Amatokwu: Who are mine to say no if called upon? I don’t know anyone who wishes his community well yet rejects the call from the same people to serve them. So I will not reject it because I wish my people well and will always develop the inclination to serve them in any capacity possible. I have on my own told some people that the only way I can participate in politics is when I am called upon by my people. Let my people call me first because that is what matters before anything else.


Pen Master: You are famed for your ability to bring together people that matter in the town for efficient contributions towards the development of the same town. How do you achieve this?


Amatokwu: Often times, the Nigerian people put themselves first in everything they do but for me, I put my community first. My community comes before anything else. I look around and ask myself how I add value to my community and what legacy to leave. These are words when I recall give me immense courage at any given time. I always respect people and respect their views too. I carry everybody along. I am very open to criticisms at all time. Above all, I render account, which is the principle I have built upon over the time.


Pen Master: Kindly tell us about Emmanuel Kwasa Amatokwu.



Amatokwu: I am Emma Chukwunwinke Amatokwu. I hail from Umuohule in Umuisagba, Ibusa. I schooled at St Thomas’ College, Ibusa, College of Education, Benin-Afuze Campus, Edo State and University of Benin and Port Harcourt for my masters. I served in Niger State for my compulsory youth service to the nation. After my service year, I got the Head of State’s national award which conferred me with the membership of the vision 2010. I have worked at three different banks in the country that are Inter-continental Bank, Continental Trust and Bank PHB before going into business.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIAMOND JUBILEE AGE: 20 THINGS THE WORLD DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT FRED AJUDUA

DIAMOND JUBILEE AGE: 20 THINGS THE WORLD DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT FRED AJUDUA On January 21 2020, Pen Master paid Chief Fred Ajudua a scheduled visit at his Lagos-VGC Marble Dome Home, a large and imposing house sitting on a hill from where it vigorously engages public views and attention. On entering the house, Pen Master freely walked in and around, in the spirit of the love that always binds the people of Igbuzo. The man, Chief Fred Ajudua often described as the “Architect of Modern Ibusa” is unarguably one of the biggest fish in history to have come out of Ibusa even as it is said that nearly every Ibusa family has benefited from him one way or the other. Beyond what you know about him, there seems many sides you do not know. As the Igbuzo Chief celebrates his 60 th Year birthday, your Pen Master brings you the things you do not know about the highly influential Igbuzo Chief. Pen Master also dug into the Ajudua family photo depository all for your knowledge. Happy reading!

A SHORT HISTORY OF OBOLLO CLAN IN ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA

A SHORT HISTORY OF OBOLLO CLAN IN ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA By Emeka Esogbue Introduction Not many historical literatures on the Obollo people exist for the usual reasons associated with our people who prefer to write the history of mighty and populous peoples already enriched with volumes of historical accounts and records. Thus while there are historical documents on other peoples of Igbo, for Obollo, it is the story of dearth of documents. However, it is within my historical concern that the rich history of this part of Igboland be adequately researched into, documented and preserved for the future generation. I do not hail from this part of Igboland but my historical background, interest and curiosity propelled me towards the acquisition of both oral and written information to put this material together. Geography The various Obollo communities comprising of Obollo Afor, Obollo Etiti, Obollo Eke, Obollo Orie and Obollo Nkwo are strategically situated at the regional bou

SEE HOW ANIOMA PEOPLE DRESS ON THEIR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE THE ERA OF USING OUR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE TO PROMOTE ATTIRES OF OTHER GROUPS IN NIGERIA IS GONE

SEE HOW ANIOMA PEOPLE DRESS ON THEIR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE THE ERA OF USING OUR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE TO PROMOTE ATTIRES OF OTHER GROUPS IN NIGERIA IS GONE Today is Saturday, conventionally set aside for marriage ceremonies. Awareness on how our Anioma brides and grooms attire themselves during their traditional marriage has fast spread and entrenched. We no longer promote other group's cultural attires because we want them to promote our own instead. I say many thanks to our Anioma cultural advocates on this day because our labours to preserve as well as promote the good cultures of our Anioma society have never been in vain. Noticeable now is that in   time of our traditional marriages, we costume ourselves in Akwa-Ocha which brings out our god-given beauty. A few moments after her traditional marriage in Umuodafe, Ibusa on December 28, inside the Agokei palatial home, I visited former Miss Amaka Thelma Agokei, the bride. I was rather late; but I met this beautiful bride t